(Member Seann Rooney (left), Don Beno (right)
Don Beno, Superintendent of the River Delta USD
I am honored to begin my 4th year as the Superintendent of the RDUSD. In the past three years we over hauled every aspect of how the schools operate. We have implemented a new curriculum, a new student assessment system and a new budgetary process. In addition, have begun repairs to the infra structure of the district such as roofs repair, bathroom repair and upgrades to our technology. We have shifted our emphasis from sending kids to computer labs to having computers available for them in the classroom. We now have a ratio of 1 computer for every 2 students.
As we begin the 2016-17 school year, I encourage you to explore our new website and the school websites to gather information about each school and the district. There is a link to our 2016-17 LCAP which is the plan that the Board approved in June and it outlines the direction of the district for the next three years.
Our plan has the following 5 major goals:
- Improve and support student learning to close achievement gaps and ensure all students graduate high school, college and are career ready.
- Provide an instructional program that supports full implementation of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS), Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) and English Language Development (ELD) standards in grades K-12.
- Provide facilities that are safe and well maintained with classrooms that are wired and equipped to use technology to support instruction.
- Provide meaningful and varied opportunities for parents to be involved with supporting their child’s academic achievement.
- Foster a school and district culture that ensures academic/social and emotional well-being for all students.
Specifically, this year you should see:
- More students using technology in the classroom to help them learn.
- Increased opportunities at each school for parents to engage in the education of their child.
- More professional development opportunities for our staff including the use of technology in the classroom.
- New curriculum in use in every classroom.
- Improvements to the school websites and the district website.
- Improvements to the restrooms at Walnut Grove Elementary School and repairs to the gym roofs at Rio Vista High School.
- AVID at both high schools, both middle schools and Walnut Grove Elementary School as a pilot elementary program.
We will continue to improve all aspects of the educational experience at RDUSD. In order to focus our efforts to be more responsive to the parents and community, I would appreciate your input. Please send me an email at: email@example.com with your answers to the following questions:
- What is something great going on in RDUSD that we must continue?
- What is something we currently do in RDUSD that can be improved?
- What is something new you would like to see the district and why?
We understand that in addition to providing a quality education for your child, we also must provide quality “customer” service for you as our consumer. Please feel free to contact me when we have not lived up to your expectations in this area.
I am fortunate to work with very dedicated staff members in the district whose main focus is improving student achievement. Every staff member including teachers and non-teachers alike are dedicated to providing quality schools for our students. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact your school or me at the district office. I have provided my email address for your convenience. We are here to provide assistance to you and your child as they learn.
River Delta Unified School District
445 Montezuma Street
Rio Vista, CA 94571-1651